Bravenet Guestmap

Show me where you came from !
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Can You Hear Me Now ?

Artist implants 'third ear' on his own arm

Performance artists are known for pushing the bounderies, but one Australian has astonished his contemporaries by having a third ear implanted onto his arm.

The Cypriot-born eccentric Stelios Arcadious spent 10 years searching for a surgeon willing to perform the controversial operation.



Click on the pic to enlarge
.

He got his wish after working as a Research Fellow at Nottingham Trent University's Digital Research Unit. The ear was grown in a lab from cells and implanted into the 61-year-olds left forearm in 2006.

Mr Arcadious said he thought art "should be more than simply illustrating ideas." Once the ear has fully developed he hopes to get a microphone implanted as well.

"It is more of a relief at present than an ear but it is still recognisable as an ear," he said.



Click on the pic to enlarge
.

"The last operation was in September 2006 and its only now that I'm about ready for the next step.

"I hope to have a tiny microphone implanted to it that will connect with a bluetooth transmitter; that way you can listen to what my ear is hearing."


I want to get a third eye on my forehead.

I was thinking about an eye on the palm of my hand but then I thought better of it.

The forehead is a much more practical choice !

No comments: