Bravenet Guestmap

Show me where you came from !
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

West Virginia

West Virginia has been in the news a bit the last few days.
I've always found West Virginia ironic, hypocritical and well, stupid.
West Virginia was a handful of counties that broke away from Virginia during the American Civil War and was admitted to the Union as a separate state on June 20, 1863. So the war that was primarily fought over the rights of states to secede from the country allowed counties to secede from the state. Yes, this may come as a shock to people only schooled in public schools, slavery was not the primary issue of the civil war.

Have you ever been to West Virginia ?
I have. Three business trips.
Wheeling, West Virginia.
What a shit hole.
Even Tulsa looks good next to that pile.
They couldn't even keep a McDonald's in business. Literally. It closed two months before my first trip.
When people asked me what hotel I was staying in, they said "Wow ! That's a nice place !"
It literally had duct tape holding the seams of the carpet together.
The decor had not been updated since the sixties if not before. That includes the furniture.
I have never seen such a waste of space and humanity as what I saw of West Virginia.

That's about all I have to say about that.

No comments: